A great idea
Our story is about children and how they're motivated to read.
One of the reasons kids don’t read is lack of motivation. One of the things that motivates kids is helping other kids.
Our simple (but brilliant) idea is to link the two.
And it works...
- some 3,000 schools are involved every year
- encouraging almost one million pupils to love reading
- all of the UK's major children's hospitals now receive regular deliveries of brand new books and storyteller visits, reaching 100,000 hospitalised children each year
- thousands of seriously ill children have benefited through our support of CLIC Sargent and Roald Dahl's Marvellous Children's Charity (Roald Dahl was our first Chair!)
- schools receive 20% of whatever they raise back for their own library. In the last five years alone, we’ve given almost £800,000 worth of free book vouchers to participating schools.
Numerous studies show that reading changes lives: from educational outcomes and social mobility to emotional well-being. There’s also ample evidence to demonstrate that enjoyment drives the core skill of reading and that motivation is an integral element of reading well. Our loop of children reading to help other children in hospital is both time-tested and ingenious.
We’re raising money and readers.