How Readathon works
“At the heart of every child, new born, is a unique genius and personality. What we should be doing is to allow the spark of that genius to catch fire, burn brightly and shine.”
You can run Readathon at any time of year (including World Book Day, Children’s Book Week or the school holidays) and you can run it for as long as you like. It's entirely up to you! And it's very easy to run:
- Register, stating when you’d like to run your Readathon. We'll send your free resource pack at the start of your chosen term (or straight away if that term's already started).
- When it arrives, set a start and finish date and put up the posters provided around the school.
- Ask the children to write on their card what they'd like to read, to collect as many sponsors as they can - and start reading!
- After the closing date, send us their sponsorship cards and money.
- Then sit back and wait for your thank you pack! You'll receive a certificate for the school, a testimonial for yourself and a lovely voucher for free books - worth 20% of your sponsorship total!
What should the children read?
Whatever they want! Reading for pleasure is just that – reading something they want to read, not what they have to read.
You may want to challenge pupils to read a set number of pages or books in a set period of time - or simply leave it up to them. Chidren are usually keen to stretch themselves.
It doesn’t have to be books, either. Pupils can read e-books, comics, or newspapers. If they're too young to read independently, they can share a picture book or have stories read to them. The important thing is that they have fun.
So register now for your next Readathon. You’ll be glad you did!